The Houston Grand Opera Chorus is a professional group of diverse persons of all professions and backgrounds. Choristers rehearse weekday evenings and weekends for each repertory period. In the 2021-22 season, a new chorister could earn approximately $3,300.00 per production.
Auditions should include two arias of contrasting style, tempo, in original language, and by memory. Operatic repertoire is preferred, but standard oratorio selections will be accepted. Sight reading may be requested. Singers are required to bring their own music in the correct key. HGO will provide an accompanist. Candidates may be asked to sing only one aria.
Your audition date and time will be confirmed via email within 3-5 business days.
All choristers must have work authorization to work in the United States to participate in the Houston Grand Opera Chorus.
Candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent sight-reading ability – music and languages.
- Ability to memorize music quickly.
- Experience in another professional opera or symphony chorus and/or strong academic or other non-professional experience.
- Stage experience or significant stage training.
- Availability to work a complex & rigorous rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Ability to take and accept stage and musical direction.
- Ability to work in a theatrical environment, including but not limited to the ability to perform in a variety of stage conditions including flat and raked stages, at stage level and on elevated platforms.
If you have any questions please write to Daniel James, Music Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.