The Metropolitan Opera
2023 - 2024 Season Chorus Auditions
Salary/Fee Information: $85.06 per hour for rehearsals; $331.90 per performance
Type of Employment: W-2
The Metropolitan Opera Chorus and Extra Chorus offer unique and rewarding career opportunities for highly qualified performers. Classically trained professional singers who have been invited to audition should be prepared to sing two operatic arias in different languages from memory. Selections should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to sing lyrically. An accompanist will be provided. Please note: All applicants invited to audition in person will have to provide proof of a primary series of a COVID-19 vaccine considered effective by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) and/or the World Health Organization (“WHO”) at least two weeks prior to coming onsite to the Met.”
All qualified applicants will be considered for Full Time (Regular) and Extra Chorus positions for the Metropolitan Opera's 2023-2024 season.
Applicants shall submit via email addressed to ChorusAuditions@metopera.org the following materials:
- in the subject line of the email, please format: Last Name, First Name; Voice Type; AGMA or non-AGMA
- a cover letter requesting an audition; please indicate your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd audition session preferences from the dates below
- a current one-page resume and photo/headshot
- a link to a video of applicant singing an operatic aria. The aria should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to sing lyrically. *please see important guidelines at the bottom of this announcement for video Submissions.
- a list of no more than 5 operatic arias, two of which will be selected as your audition repertoire
Auditions will be granted by invitation only, and will be held at the following times:
- Session #1 Wednesday, November 30th, 2022 3:15pm to 5:15pm
- Session #2 Friday, December 2nd, 2022 2:15pm to 5:15pm
- Session #3 Wednesday, January 18th, 2023 2:45pm to 5:15pm
- Session #4 Friday, January 20th, 2023 2:45pm to 5:15pm
Applications must be received on or before 11:59PM EST, 11/5/22. Submissions received after this date, regardless of postmark or email transmission time, will not be considered. If a particular audition date is required, it is advisable to submit one’s application well in advance of the submission deadline.
THE MET DOES NOT PROVIDE SPONSORSHIP FOR EMPLOYMENT VISA STATUS.
Any singer who is offered employment and is not already a member of AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists) will be required to join AGMA.
All applicants will be notified as to whether an audition has been granted. No audition comments will be shared with the applicant.
Similar information about the auditions may be found by consulting the following:
The Metropolitan Opera Website
The Metropolitan Opera
Donald Palumbo, Chorus Master
Daniel Hoy, Chorus Administrator
New York, NY 10023
The Metropolitan Opera believes that diversity is critical to our success and growth as a leading performing arts institution and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
The Metropolitan Opera is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and existing employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship status, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
GUIDELINES FOR VIDEO OF ARIA
- Provide a link to a video of your aria on a secure platform, i.e. YouTube or Vimeo. Audio-only files will not be accepted.
- Video must have been made in the last 12 months, and be no longer than 7 minutes in duration
- Selection must be sung from memory.
- Video can be extracted from a performance, studio recording, or more informal home setting.
- Video may be accompanied or an a cappella recording.
- Singer can accompany him/herself.
- Video can use orchestra backing.
- Applicants need not introduce themselves or the aria as part of the recording.
- Singers may wear headphones in video submission if needed.
- Split screen for singer/accompanist is acceptable if needed.
SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO
- We recommend uploading your video on YouTube. When using YouTube, please note that you must select "public" or "unlisted" in the Privacy settings found under the broadcasting and Sharing Options section when uploading your video file. (If you select "private," adjudicators will not be able to access your submission.) Make sure your videos are easily accessible via your link.
- Be sure that the video remains available for a minimum of six (6) months after the initial upload to facilitate the potential of an extended application and audition process.
- For additional advisements on preparing video submission, Opera America has created a helpful guide found at: