San Francisco Opera will be accepting recorded video submissions in place of a live audition for consideration to be cast in the Extra Chorus for the Fall 2023 production of Omar. There are currently open positions for singers that identify as ethnically black in all voice types (Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor, Baritone/Bass).
OMAR VIDEO AUDITION REQUIREMENTS:
• Video submissions must be from the last 12 months and may be recordings of live solo performance, or unedited at-home/studio recordings.
• 2 selections, both must be memorized.
• Selections should be from the following genres: Opera, Art Song, Spiritual, ‘Legit’ Musical Theater.
• It is recommended that at least 1 selection be in English.
• Repertoire should be accompanied by piano, or in the instance of recorded performance, accompanied by piano or appropriate ensemble (i.e., orchestra, chamber ensemble, etc.).
APPLICATION & RECORDING SUBMISSION:
• The application can be found at www.sfopera.com/about-us/auditions.
• Video recordings can be submitted via email (by links or attachments) or we can provide an upload link by request.
• Application and Recorded Audition Deadline is March 31st, 2023.
• Singers should submit completed application materials to:
Noelle Romelfanger, Auditions Coordinator
CONTRACT: All members of the San Francisco Opera Extra Chorus are contracted through the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA), in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between AGMA and San Francisco Opera. All employment is conditioned upon providing timely and satisfactory evidence of the ability to legally work in the United States upon the acceptance of our offer of employment, should one be extended.
CONTRACT PERIODS: Omar is expected to rehearse between mid-July and the beginning of August, and between mid-September and early November, with performances running November 5th through November 21st. Please note this is subject to change.
CONTRACT WAGES: Contract Year 2023 rates are $61.08 per rehearsal hour / $284.78 per performance.
TRAVEL & HOUSING STIPENDS: Travel & Housing Stipends may be available dependent on a singer’s city of residence.