AGMA Ratifies 1-Year Extension with Lyric Opera of Chicago

Published October 25, 2022   |  By Musical Artists  |  Post in All Areas

A one-year extension between AGMA and Lyric Opera of Chicago was approved by AGMA leadership, after being ratified by the shop. Thank you to the negotiating committee and congratulations!



  • Up-front advance payment to per performance Principal Artists of 20% of their contracted fees paid on their first day at Lyric Opera with the remaining 80% split with each performance
  • A delineation of the tax status (1099 or W2) for Principal Artists and a breakdown of any fees, per diem or housing payments at the time of contracting
  • Reimbursement of housing expenses (if included in your contract) and flight expenses (including checked bags and a choice of seats) incurred by Principal Artists which can be submitted up to 90 days prior to their first rehearsal
  • Principal Artists can divert a portion of their fees on a pre-tax basis to pay for health insurance from the AGMA Health Fund
    • A requirement that the Plan B retirement payment to the Health Fund for those Principal Artists who elect to divert their fees to purchase coverage through the Fund will also be paid to the Health Fund to offset the costs to the Principal Artist


  • A requirement that Lyric Opera convert three Core Supp or Supp Choristers to Regular Choristers (increase to 43 from 40 Regular Choristers) effective October 17, 2022
    • These choristers will receive health insurance contributions through June 2023
  • Production Staff prep weeks to be scheduled by mutual agreement


  • A 3% across-the-board increase to the minimum wage rates in the contract retroactive to the beginning of the season
    • Anyone paid at the rates in the Basic Agreement will get an increase and retro pay


  • New general IDEA language as well as a commitment to continue to discuss the IDEA policy throughout the season
  • An update to the non-discrimination language in the contract