The latest caucus to establish itself within AGMA is the Operatic and Concert Choristers Caucus (OCCC). AGMA choristers in good standing are encouraged to join the first official kickoff meeting of the OCCC on Thursday, October 29, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET/2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. PT. To register and receive the Zoom details, please email OCCC@musicalartists.org.
“We’re looking for a representative and diverse group of Artists passionate about affecting choristers’ livelihoods in a positive way,” said Met Opera Chorister Ned Hanlon. “All over the country we confront the same issues and concerns. The time has come to see what we can do to fix them by working together.”
The OCCC is dedicated to the promotion of a better and more rewarding livelihood for the skilled choral performer and the enrichment of the cultural life of society. According to its mission statement, to further these goals, the OCCC will:
- Advocate for the interests of choristers
- Facilitate communication and support between operatic and concert choruses
- Increase chorister participation within AGMA on both the local and national levels
- Identify common bargaining priorities
- Provide a direct line of communication between members of the Caucus and AGMA leadership
- Encourage and support organizing efforts in non-union choruses;
- Operate within the AGMA structure for the mutual benefit of both the Caucus and AGMA as a whole
In the kickoff meeting, the Caucus will discuss methods for fulfilling the OCCC’s mission statement, identify specific issues to be addressed in the future, and report on the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 restrictions and safety precautions for choruses and choirs.